Everyone has their perfect foods.
They reliably “work” for you because you look forward to them. They satisfy. They’re always delish.
If you’re anything like me, you have your favorite go-to salad. It’s familiar, dependable and you are loyal to it as dog is to man.
As much as I adored the PB&J my dad made for my lunchbox in elementary school, I love a homemade salad even more. Why mess with tried and true?
Reliable and loyal foods are wonderful, but they’re not always the most exciting. A little variation can keep your fave food relationship interesting.
This week, your challenge is to make that salad a little more interesting every day by intensifying and infusing it with at least ONE new summertime ingredient EVERY day.
I know it gets a little hum drum to take your dinner leftovers and dump ‘em over your triple-washed greens of choice. So, let me be a little creative for you by suggesting how you can make your summer salad more fun and exciting while you enjoy the unbelievable eats from sunny farms and gardens.
Your step-by-step guide for an awesome summer salad:
- Start with a base: kale, romaine, spinach, mesclun, watercress, zen mix or spring mix
- Add your (grilled, when possible) lean protein: beans, eggs, salmon, tuna, beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, tofu or shrimp
- Summer it up with:
- ¾ cup watermelon cubes and 1 ounce feta or goat cheese
- heirloom tomatoes and 1 ounce mini mozzarella balls (about 4 – 5, depending on the size)
- fresh mint, basil, dill or oregano steeped in 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup farmer’s market berries and ½ small avocado with cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of fleur de sel
- ½ cup cherries, 8 walnuts, pomegranate vinegar and 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup roasted corn (off the cob), ½ cup grilled zucchini, ½ cup grilled tomatoes
- 1 fresh, or grilled peach, diced, 1 oz ricotta cheese
You CAN make your salad more summery delicious and fun. Try a new summer salad invention EVERY day this week. It’s like giving your lunch a makeover for the season. Pass me a napkin. I’m diggin’ in!