Your overloaded Pinterest board reflects your love of summer eating. You collect BBQ recipes for sport because grilling makes it easy to eat healthy foods you adore, you love eating outdoors, and bonus, it reminds you of summer love.
Still, an invite to Uncle Ed’s annual Memorial Day feast isn’t a party of healthfulness and there’s nothing served up that’s even remotely pin-worthy.
It’s no longer 1950, but he still serves nothing but burgers, dogs, buns and mayo-loaded salads. Sigh.
BBQ foods shouldn’t trigger diet dread.
I’ve got your back on this one, with solutions to survive any summer BBQ situation you may find yourself in. Get your camera ready, you’ll be pinning your own summer eats.
Healthy recipes and diet tricks to enjoy summer BBQ season:
- Go meatless and check out my great vegetarian bbq ideas — mushroom kabobs anyone?
- Sizzle up some of my grilled stuffed jalapenos to beat the heat with some spice
- Avoid toxic HCA’s and grill meat safely by knowing what to look for and why you shouldn’t just scrape off the burn
- Bring a healthy dessert like my Patriotic Pie or healthy munchies like my Firecracker Spiced Nuts.
- Whip up some mayo-less recipes, like no mayo coleslaw, no mayo potato salad and no mayo macaroni salad.
- Try these super yummy summer salad recipes throughout the bbq season to stay on track!
- Use the buddy system. It works everytime!
- Keep a frozen bag of shelled edamame and organic corn in your freezer and a can of black beans and red wine vinegar in your pantry. Thaw the beans and corn in the refrigerator overnight, toss with the well rinsed beans and ½ cup red wine vinegar. Bring it to the BBQ in a pretty bowl and your host will thank you. It’s a delicious salad (and your meal for the event!) And yes, you can add other vegetables from your cache: tomatoes, onion, parsley, carrots, radishes. Enjoy!
You should feel empowered, and ready to roll up to every Memorial Day, Father’s Day, July 4th, and “just because” BBQ and ready to man the grill if someone needs to takeover the tongs. Cheers to your amazing BBQ. Enjoy the food, fun, friends and family.