I have tons of clients who are self-sabotaged by their own sweet tooth.
Some bemoan the vending machine that calls their name at 3 p.m. every day.
Others dread the group dinner with friends, knowing the multiple forks presented with the molten lava cake may as well be shovels because they will not practice the three-bite rule.
And, finally there are those who feel like failures because they cannot resist twice-weekly trips to the fro yo shop where they can top their flavor of the week with everything from malted milk balls to Captain Crunch.
If your wild sweet tooth is a part of your identity that you have accepted (no judgement here), I have some suggestions for you to keep it tamed: Healthy, sweet snacks that will not derail your healthful eating but will fulfill your desire for something decadent.
I even have one on this list that you can indulge in daily (it feels legitimately decadent, but it’s really healthful.)
10 Sweet and Healthy Snacks to Savor
1. Matt’s Munchies are dried fruit treats, with an upgraded twist. At 35-80 calories per pack, these dried fruit puree snacks offer long enjoyment due to their strip-sized bites. It’s a bonus that they are portable and perfectly portioned for you. There is even one for you chocoholics out there!
2. Frozen Bananas aren’t just a summer lovin’ treat. They are an all year long fiber-, potassium- and antioxidant-packed sweet snack (or dessert) that is naturally portion controlled.
3. Fresh fruit is an underrated but amazing sweet treat. If you’re aiming for something lower on the glycemic index, skip the bananas and citrus and go for these low-sugar fruits instead.
4. A frozen fruit bar is a solid sweet staple. Look for whole food ingredients only and no added corn syrup, dyes or chemicals. I recommend: Edy’s, Whole Fruit, 365.
5. Dark chocolate that is 70% or higher helps you to indulge your sweet tooth and get a dose of antioxidants, so enjoy it on occasion in a 1-oz. portion. There are literally hundreds of brands out there on the market, readily portioned for you and you’ll often find them at checkout lines across the land. A couple faves: Green & Black’s, Alter Eco truffles.
6. Angel food cake is mostly sugar and egg whites. For less than 100 calories, it is OK that this indulgence isn’t very nutrient-dense because it is a great vehicle for berries, which are! Plus, who doesn’t have a little nostalgia for this old-school treat?
7. The Good Bean makes roasted chickpeas in a cinnamon flavor that are perfect for a sweet snack. High in fiber and protein, your waistline will not budge over this indulgence, even if it is frequent.
8. Peanut butter is not just for jelly and you don’t have to bake to turn yourself into a nutrition scientist. Simply place 2 teaspoons of natural peanut butter and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder in a mug in the microwave on high for 20 seconds. Mix and top with 1 teaspoon unsweetened coconut flakes. Eat with a spoon!
9. Grilled peaches are the warm weather staple you’ve been missing. Brush a little honey over peach halves and sprinkle with nutmeg. Toss on a hot grill for up to 3 minutes per side so the sugars caramelize. Yum!! We also love to combine them with burrata, honey and basil for a stellar summer crowd-pleaser. (Yes, you’ll have to share this treat with others!)
This brings me to number 10 … the treat I mentioned before that gets the green light as a daily taste:
10. Caramel Tea by Yogi is a sweet treat for your waistline that you can have any time you feel the need for sweetness. It feels indulgent, but it’s really a healthful choice, as it has no calories, is full of antioxidants and contributes to your hydration efforts. This is food/drink working for you!
There you have it, sweets for my sweets. Remember: go slowly and savor your mouthfuls, so your relationship with your sweet tooth is at peace with your relationship with your health-mindedness!
Keri Glassman, MS, RD, CDN, is a renowned celebrity nutritionist, healthy cooking expert, and wellness thought-leader. She is the founder and CEO of Nutritious Life and The Nutritious Life Studio, an online certification that provides unparalleled, forward-thinking education to individuals of various backgrounds looking to establish successful careers in the health and wellness industry.
Want a sneak peek inside the program?
Get FREE access to some of the core training materials that make up our signature program – Become a Nutrition Coach.Get Access