A juice cleanse can send you on a short trip towards a meltdown. A food cleanse, on the other hand, can mark the start of a long journey towards healthier eating habits—if you do it right. (As in, only eating grapefruit is NOT the way.)
Of course the most important aspect is eating whole, nutritious, detoxing foods, but there’s much more to it than that.
Your entire lifestyle can impact how your body responds to a food cleanse, so you need to make sure everything else you’re doing is supporting your body’s cleansing process. (There’s a reason things like “Sleep Deep” and “Love More” are components of living a Nutritious Life—it’s all connected.)
To help you get the most out of your next food cleanse, we’re sharing some simple rules to follow. And when you’re ready to really go all in and detox, download the comprehensive Nutritious Life Guide to Cleansing (with daily menus!) here.
Nutritious Life’s 10 Food Cleanse Rules
1. Eat consistently throughout the day, approximately every 3 to 4 hours.
2. Eat as much fresh food as possible. Try to avoid anything that comes in a bag or a box. Processed foods are your enemy while cleansing. It’s all about lean meats, healthy fats, and veggies from whole foods.
3. Use vinegar, herbs, and spices to flavor food. This will make number six much easier.
4. Eat more vegetables if you’re still feeling hungry at a meal. It’s a better strategy than finishing up with a growling stomach. That could lead to poor choices later.
6. Avoid all added sugars and sodium. Yes, this will be tough, but focus on flavor-enhancers like vinegar and spices.
7. Avoid all alcohol. Mocktails, anyone?
8. Sleep seven to eight hours per night. To function optimally, your body needs rest just as much as it needs nutrients.
10. Do one thing just for YOU each day that you’re cleansing. For example, get a massage or set aside time to meditate.
Download the Guide to Cleansing, now!