Chickpea Brownies…are you wary already just from title?
Chickpeas and chocolate are actually an awesome duo. Don’t knock it until you try it.
I’m asking you to try a recipe that is 6 ingredients deep, tastes like gooey brownies (or maybe fudge) and falls into the vegetarian, gluten free and true chocoholics approval list.
Instead of using nutrient poor flour and oil, you sub in pureed chickpeas. The result is dense, decadent and satisfying as well as high in protein, fiber and cool points.
This is the perfect conscious indulgence for your birthday, a pot luck, or a Friday night with your bae and the remote.
Fudgy Chocolate Chickpea Brownies
Time: 10 minutes prep, 40 minutes to bake
- 1 ¼ cups 70% cacao chocolate chips
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas/garbanzo beans drained and rinsed well
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup turbinado sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Powdered sugar and cinnamon or cocoa powder for dusting (2:1 ratio)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9 inch round baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place the chocolate chips in an oven safe bowl and melt them as the oven preheats (stir them often!).
- Put the eggs and the chickpeas in a food processor and process them until smooth.
- Add the sugar and baking powder and combine well.
- Add the melted chocolate chips (use a spatula and not your finger to get it all in there).
- Mix well and then transfer to the baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean; if it doesn’t, add a few minutes on to the baking time.
- Cool on a wire cookie sheet before turning onto a serving plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar and cinnamon/cocoa mixture when the cake is completely cooled.
- Invite me over.
Enjoy. Eat empowered and call it one awesome conscious indulgence [Tweet This].