By Susan McDaniel, NLC
Do you dread the alarm clock every morning and hit snooze multiple times? Then, running late, you finally peel yourself out of bed and start the crazy dash to try to get yourself and everyone else ready for the day?
That stressed start to your day can then lead to bad breakfast choices, too much caffeine, a rushed work day, and then back home with nothing planned for dinner. After a less than ideal dinner, you crash on the couch, all the while feeling guilty because your stressful life is zapping your energy and preventing you and your family from living a healthy lifestyle.
We all crave more energy, because it can lead to better choices, more confidence, and an overall better life.
While so many of your choices impact how much energy you have when you wake up and throughout the day, if you don’t know where to begin, start with something simple. One surprisingly simple life hack: Did you know that just drinking enough water can amp up your energy?
Yep, you heard it right. Even mild dehydration can significantly affect mood and energy levels—and women are more susceptible to this than men. By the time you feel thirsty, you could already be on your way to dehydration. (By the way, the Nutritious Life Certified course goes deep on the importance of hydration and how it relates to energy!)
How much (water, that is) should you drink up? The average person should drink half their body weight in ounces each day. That means a 130 pound person would drink 65 ounces of water. If you exercise more intensely, or will be in the heat, you should increase that amount.
If you have a hard time getting enough water into your routine to stay properly hydrated, try some of these tips, below.
5 Tips to Drink More Water for More Energy
1. Chug a 16 ounce glass of water right when you wake up, even before taking a sip of coffee. If you make it an everyday habit at the exact same time, it’ll become ingrained in your routine.
2. Infuse your water with sliced strawberries, lemons, limes, or cucumbers (or all of them!) in a water bottle or pitcher and refill it throughout the day. Not only does it give your water a delicious kick, it will also make it feel super special, like a treat!
3. Eat water-rich foods such as watermelon, strawberries, cantaloupe, lettuce, zucchini and cucumbers. Did you know those fruits and veggies are more than 90 percent water?
4. Opt for a delicious cup of herbal tea in the afternoon (warm or chilled, depending on your preference). Add lemon juice, a drizzle of honey, or a few berry slices to jazz it up.
5. Add a healthy broth or soup to your lunch or as an appetizer before dinner. You may opt for plain chicken, vegetable, or bone broth—or add some veggies such as cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, or squash.
Want to learn more about the factors that contribute to low energy, along with more simple solutions? Check out my upcoming FREE Online Interview Series & Gift Giveaway – IGNITE Your Energy. Along with 25+ other leading experts, I will help you discover the simple secrets that busy driven women use to nourish themselves and fuel their highest potential. And to think, it all starts with H20.
Susan McDaniel mentors and coaches busy, driven women who want to ditch “diets” for good and start a lasting journey to a healthy, more energetic, fully-lived life. As a wife, mom of two children, and former corporate executive turned business owner, she completely understands the challenges women face each day setting and meeting health goals for themselves and their family. Follow Susan online on her website, Facebook, and Instagram to discover how to FUEL a nourished and fully-lived life.