An apple with a sprinkle of cinnamon has been a go-to snack of mine for decades. It’s my standby, but I’m gifting you my second fave version, since sometimes you just need a little variety: apple chips.
I’m sure there are plenty of formal recipes out there, but once you get the idea of how to make these munchy bad boys, you won’t need one.
But today, I’m passing on some pomme-love to you, so go green, go red, go Gala or Granny, the choices are endless.
Easy Homemade Apple Chips
Here’s what you need:
- Apples (they’re loaded with fiber, pectin, antioxidants and include cardiovascular and cancer fighting properties)
- Cinnamon (properties in this spice are linked to brain boosting benefits, decreasing inflammation, cancer fighting, blood sugar control and more)
- Optional: turbinado sugar, nutmeg, cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Core a few apples. Slice ‘em as thin as possible into rounds. Watch your fingertips, you’ll need them later. If you have a mandolin, it does work beautifully here.
- Lay your lovely apple slices as close together as possible on a cookie sheet, but do not let them overlap. Note: pans vary. A silpat liner or a quick mist of coconut oil may be needed to keep your apple chips from sticking.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon shaker to coat lightly. You can sprinkle optional ingredients here, too, but go lightly. A heavy hand isn’t necessary.
- Bake for 45 minutes and then flip them over. Bake another 20 minutes and check for crispy perfection. They should be crisp and browned, but watch them carefully so they don’t burn or stick!
Store these eats in an airtight container so you can enjoy them for a couple of days.
Bring them to the movies. Stick them in your kids’ lunchboxes. Pull a container out after the gym.
I’m not ashamed to say that I brought them as a gift for a recent dinner host (Paleo friendly, check. Vegan, check. Gluten free, check.) and my kids actually ask to share them with their teammates after soccer games (Nut free, check).