- Servings: 1
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup canned chickpeas
- 2 ounces canned light tuna in water or olive oil, drained and chunked (about 1⁄4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup canned sliced beets, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery + 2 teaspoons chopped celery leaves
1. Combine the vinegar, oil, and garlic in a small bowl.
2. Toss the vinegar-oil mixture with the chickpeas, tuna, beets, bell pepper, onion, and celery in a medium bowl.
3. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
Packed in water, tuna is an incredible calorie bargain that doesn’t only pack in protein, but lots of niacin and vitamins B6 and B12, plus selenium, a mineral that’s an important antioxidant. The chickpeas also contribute their protein content and add tons of fiber. They are extremely supportive of digestive tract function, plus they provide the dish with texture! Lightly dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and garlic, this recipe gives you monounsaturated healthy fats, protection against artery-clogging plaque, and, of course, tons of flavor! It is a great dish to throw together for lunch or dinner and packs beautifully for a picnic or tailgate!