- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 55 minutes
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups leeks rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 4 cups diced butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped broccoli rabe
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Lightly coat the bottom of a large thick bottom pot or Dutch oven with oil. Place over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add thyme and leeks, and cook until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic powder, ginger, and cayenne and cook until fragrant.
- To the pot, add squash, broccoli rabe, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and simmer the soup until the butternut squash is fork tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow the soup to cool slightly. Transfer to an upright blender – or use an immersion blender in the pot to process smooth.
- Stir in the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
This recipe takes a healthy winter favorite (creamy, warming butternut squash soup!) up a few notches in terms of both nutrition and flavor. Broccoli rabe provides fiber and essential nutrients like vitamins A, C, K, and iron, plus zinc to strengthen the immune system. And the squash, cayenne pepper, ginger, and garlic are filled with antioxidants to shore up the body’s defenses against the damaging effects of free radicals. Did we mention the soup is gluten-free, with no added sugar? This is comfort food at it’s best.