- Servings: 1
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 16 large fresh blackberries, divided
- 4 small fresh thyme sprigs, divided
- 6 tablespoons 100% blue agave silver tequila
- 1⁄4 cup simple syrup
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau or other orange liqueur
- 2 cups ice cubes, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chilled sparkling wine
1. Place 16 blackberries and 2 thyme sprigs in medium bowl. With back of wooden spoon, press firmly on solids until mashed.
2. Mix in tequila, simple syrup, lime juice, and liqueur, then add 1 cup of the ice. Stir to blend well. Strain into large glass measuring cup.
3. Mix in sparkling wine. Divide remaining ice between 2 tall glasses. Pour margarita mixture over ice. Garnish each drink with 1 blackberry and 1 thyme sprig.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
Nothing says fiesta like tequila! But when sipped in the form of a neon-colored, sweet, frozen treat surrounded by lots of salt, it can cost you! You’ll pay in unwanted sugar, sodium and calories. We all know what can happen with a few too many cocktails . . . lowered inhibition which makes it harder to turn down chips, churros and cheese you were trying to limit. Although overindulging in alcohol definitely has its pitfalls, enjoying the right amount can make you feel happy, healthy and even beautiful. In fact, tequila is a skin healer than can remove dirt and other toxins, keeping skin clear. But while it touts additional benefits including relaxing effects, cholesterol lowering properties and digestive aid properties, one tequila-based drink should do the trick. Steer clear of the frozen margarita mixes to eliminate the sugar and salt and put those calories to better use elsewhere – use blackberries that are called for in this recipe, instead. They provide a sweet twist while also offering a dose of antioxidants which are your skin’s allies against aging and vitamin C, which helps prevent wrinkles and damage from the sun. Bartender? Blackberry-Thyme Margarita, please. Ole!