Eggplant is a nutrient-dense, tasty vegetable that often meets the same fate when it arrives in the kitchen: It gets heavily breaded and covered in melted cheese. Eggplant parm, eggplant rollatini…you get the picture.
But there’s another way. (Follow us!)
This recipe includes all of the great Italian flavors the veggie loves—like garlic, tomato, and parsley—but leaves out all of that other heavy, unhealthy stuff.
It’s the perfect Meatless Monday meal or can be served as a side.
Love this recipe? Sign up for the Nutritious Life newsletter to get simple, delicious, healthy recipes delivered to your inbox each week.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sauté eggplant rounds in olive oil until tender, set aside.
- Sauté peppers and onion until aromatic and slightly translucent.
- In an 8 inch square casserole dish, arrange in layers: eggplant, peppers, onions, tomatoes, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Repeat layers.
- Pour tomato sauce over top of layered vegetables.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes uncovered.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
Eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, onions…all of these are incredibly nutrient-dense vegetables, so piling them on top of each other is a really great strategy. This recipe is a perfect one to master if you’re a vegan (or want to have some go-to dishes for when your vegan friends visit).
Want a sneak peek inside the program?
Get FREE access to some of the core training materials that make up our signature program – Become a Nutrition Coach.Get Access