- Servings: 1
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1⁄4 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup jarred marinated artichoke hearts packed in oil, quartered (reserve 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 5 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (1⁄2" to 3⁄4" thick)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine the basil, artichokes and oil, garlic, and lemon juice in a blender or mini food processor fitted with a metal blade and process 10 seconds, scraping down the sides halfway through.
2. Add the lemon peel, walnuts, and 1⁄8 teaspoon of the black pepper. Pulse 10 more seconds, scraping the sides halfway through.
3. Place the chicken breast with its tip toward you and its thickest side closest to your cutting hand. Place your opposite hand on top of the breast. Hold the knife parallel to the cutting surface and slice horizontally, nearly all the way through, leaving the opposite end connected. Spread the top half of the breast open.
4. Place 2 tablespoons of the artichoke mixture in the center of the bottom chicken half and spread the mixture almost to the edges to cover, leaving about a 1⁄4″ edge. Fold the opposite breast half over the pesto to cover.
5. Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Combine the cheese and the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl and rub on both sides of the chicken to coat.
6. Cook 4 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through. (Note: If the breast is thick, turn to cook all four sides to ensure doneness.) Mix the remaining pesto with a side of steamed green beans, if desired.