Mole is a sauce that comes from Puebla, Mexico, a small, pretty city that’s filled with delicious food and beautiful painted tiles. (You should go there if you really like this chicken.)
There are lots of different ways to make it but its defining feature is that it includes chocolate. Yup, dark chocolate in a sauce made for chicken.
It’s rich and spicy and incredibly delicious. If you’ve never had it, it’s definitely time to get cooking.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and cook the onion, poblano or bell pepper and garlic 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is golden and the pepper is slightly softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Rub the chicken on all sides with the cumin and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pan, spooning some of the broth mixture on top. Cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Transfer the chicken to a plate, reserving the broth mixture in the pan. Add the chocolate and cilantro to the broth and stir 15 to 30 seconds, until the chocolate is melted and the sauce thickens.
- Top the chicken with the sauce and garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
The sweet-and-spicy sauce is filled with healthy vegetables, spices, and dark chocolate, all of which enhance the flavor and nutritiousness of this protein-rich chicken dinner.