For most of us, holidays mean family fun and lots of delicious and not always so nutritious treats. A Grande Starbucks Gingerbread Latte has 320 calories and 37g of sugar, a large Dunkin Donuts Hot Apple Cider has 260 calories and 66g of sugar, and a McDonalds Peppermint Hot Chocolate has 410 calories and 50g of sugar. But we don’t want to scare you; after all, Halloween is over. Enjoy a favorite seasonal hot drink a couple of times in these cold months rather than as a daily treat. Just be sure to order the smallest size available (and focus on enjoying EVERY sip!) and hold the whipped cream!
NLT: Find a great herbal tea with cinnamon spice as your go-to treat, or try this delicious, homemade, family friendly cider recipe. The aroma alone will have your neighbors knocking on your door to try some.
Alcohol Free Mulled Cider
- 1 pear, not too soft
- 1 orange
- 1-2 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 lemon
- 3-5 whole allspice berries
- 3-5 inches peeled fresh ginger root, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium stick of cinnamon
- 2-3 gallons apple cider
1. Pour cider in a heavy pot and bring it to a simmer.
2. Stud pear and orange with cloves.
3. Peel large pieces of rind from the lemon and twist each pieceto release the lemon oil.
4. Place fruits and spices in your slow cooker, pour a gallon of cider over them, and turn it on high heat for a few hours. Enjoy!