- Servings: 16
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 bunch broccoli rabe
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons water
- Using a knife, trim lower stems off of broccoli rabe, leaving the leafy greens.
- Add trimmed Broccoli Rabe to a large pot of boiling water, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer broccoli rabe to an ice-water bath until cool, and drain.
- Add broccoli rabe, half of the toasted pine nuts, half of the minced garlic, and parmesan into a food processor and process until coarsely chopped.
- Continue to process while drizzling in ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Add dash of salt and optional red pepper flakes.
- Pour pesto into a bowl and mix in remaining pine nuts, set aside.
- In a clean food processor, combine tahini and lemon juice and process until well combined, making sure to scrape the sides.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, remaining minced garlic, cumin, and dash of salt. process to combine, about 2 minutes. Scrape bottom and sides and process for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add half of the chickpeas and process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom with spatula, add remaining chickpeas, and process until thick and smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- To obtain the desired consistency, while food processor is running, add 1-2 tablespoons water as needed.
- Spoon hummus into medium sized bowl.
- Top hummus with reserved pesto, mix if desired, and serve!